Would You Move?






Utah Mountain Sky Nature Golden Hour Sunse

I have lived all over the world. I have lived where there was more then one ward in my apartment building and I have lived where I was the only member in a tri-province area with 100 million people. Some of us just don't have the ability to find a date.

I am living somewhere that has members but the area is shrinking we have lost a few YSA wards in the last couple years and almost everyone in the area I am interested in I already dated. All the rest I am not interested in. Either I am picky like my mom says or there just are not many members. I might be picky but it also has to do with the number of members.

There are about 4 wards I can think of off hand in my area. During the school year there are maybe 50 people a ward so 200 members. Half are the right gender so only 100 people to date. If I was not LDS just in my city I am sure there are plenty more. Another problem is some of those 100 are already taken. Then there is the reality that I am just not attracted to a number of them. Those that I am by now I probably at least tried to date at some point. One other problem too is the age gap. I am at the end of the YSA age so dating an 18 year would not really work well. I have no problem per se but most 18 years olds wouldn't want to date a guy so much older and realistically there are social differences from a guy raised in the 80s and 90s to a girl raised in the 2000's. As you can see my choices are very limited and it would not take long until they become non existent if I tried dating everyone in the area.

I have known people that have found people online and gone farther out. If it is a long drive out you are still not adding a large number to the dating pool though. Even when people drive hours away the guys I have known that have done that things don't work out well when you have such a great distance.

The odd exceptions are widowers. I know a couple that either did or are getting married with people out of state. In one case someone they knew from childhood the other a new person they meet. I actually don't get the point of a such a long distance relationship when it seems there are plenty of members their age closer. But I never have tried dating later in life as a widower.

I even have been known to move to Utah every now and then with mixed results. When I was younger it did get me a girlfriend but I was still in school somewhere else and only there the summer. When I was older the problem was I picked Provo when I was over 24. I hear SLC is the better choice for older members. I have even heard some speculation other parts of Utah may be better. There is an ongoing debate here though about where in Utah is the best to go to find someone.

I am working online and can live anywhere I want. I plan to move in October after my parents 50th anniversary. The leading contenders are Utah, Idaho, Las Vegas, Arizona, Texas, and Southern California.  I have been asking online for people's opinions and getting some other locations suggestions. So there are some other contenders.

You have heard way to much from me. I want to hear from you. Have you tried dating online? How far would you travel to meet someone? If you are in a place with lots of members would you be interested in a guy from somewhere outside of your area? Would you move to an area with more members? Are you in a similar situation? Do you have experience moving to meet people? Where do you think a guy should move to find a girl? Let us know your thoughts below.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife and I met online in 1990, back before there was even a worldwide web. We were 800 miles apart, and I was not a member of the Church; but she looked past that and loved me anyway. Eight months later, I was baptized; and of course, we eventually got married. (It took us longer than I’m sure you’d want to wait, but we were only 15 and 16 years old when we met, so that’s obviously a different situation.)

    The best I can tell you is to just jump in and try. If you want to use dating sites, great. There are even some exclusively for Latter-day Saints! But if not, that’s fine too. After all, maybe that’s not what’s best for you. When my wife and I met, dating sites didn't even exist yet, but we found each other on a bulletin board about a music group we both liked. It’s all about being yourself and not being scared to try. 🙂

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Worst LDS Temples

5 Best LDS Temples

New Book Of Mormon Translations Announced