Q&A Is Jacob For Or Against Polygamy


Brigham Young by Charles William Carter.jpg


Someone actually asked a question on my previous post. So I will try to answer it here. If you have questions ask there or here and I will do my best to respond.

The question is  Jacob Chapter 2 for or against polygamy when read in context. My assumption is the part that brings up this question is:

23 But the word of God burdens me because of your grosser crimes. For behold, thus saith the Lord: This people begin to wax in iniquity; they understand not the scriptures, for they seek to excuse themselves in committing whoredoms, because of the things which were written concerning David, and Solomon his son.
24 Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.
25 Wherefore, thus saith the Lord, I have led this people forth out of the land of Jerusalem, by the power of mine arm, that I might raise up unto me a righteous branch from the fruit of the loins of Joseph.
26 Wherefore, I the Lord God will not suffer that this people shall do like unto them of old.
27 Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none;
28 For I, the Lord God, delight in the chastity of women. And whoredoms are an abomination before me; thus saith the Lord of Hosts.
I can see where clearly God is not happy with polygamy here. However he only mentions David and Solomon. He does not mention anything about other Patriarchs that also practiced polygamy. David went so far as to have another man killed so he could have that man's wife. Solomon allowed the worship of different Gods that his wives brought. God warned him against this. 
They were writing on metal plates you didn't want to make mistakes or do extra work. It would be much easier to just say the Patriarchs or some other term if you were talking about Biblical polygamy. It makes a point of mentioning David and Solomon. It also could be an issue that they many not just they had some. 
He also says among you. He is talking to them specifically. Polygamy is something that during limited times is allowed but the preference is always to be one man and one wife. You could say the Book of Mormon was written for our time and so were are being spoke too as well. So that the church never should have practiced it. 
We need to also look at context of when it is allowed and when it is not allowed. It is allowed when there is a need to raise up righteous posterity unto the lord. It is also allowed when it would be a benefit for God's people. In ancient times a woman who had no husband or family had little hope of support herself. In the US at the time it was practiced woman did not have the same rights or ability to support themselves. The time it was practiced was similar in many ways to the ancient practice. 
The practice of polygamy does not fit well with the examples of David or Solomon. We were not taking wives and having them replace our God. In fact we were using it to help produce offspring unto the lord. It was not out of lust as in many cases the woman taken did not have sexual relations but were merely financially supported by their husbands. While some men did have multiple wives that they had sexual relations with it was not something you just decided to do for your own lusts which is more in line with David's sin. You also were not killing people to get a wife. You had to be allowed to have multiple wives. You didn't just say I want another one and I want her. While 55 wives seems like a lot it is not nearly as many as David or Solomon.
The practice was unlikely to be perfect. In our day leaders make mistakes and are infallible. It is even possible the practice was not done properly. Brigham Young said, 
"Can a Prophet or an Apostle be mistaken? Do not ask me any such question, for I will acknowledge that all the time, but I do not acknowledge that I designedly lead this people astray one hair’s breadth from the truth, and I do not knowingly do a wrong, though I may commit many wrongs, and so may you. But I overlook your weaknesses, and I know by experience that the Saints lift their hearts to God that I may be led right"
This line of reasoning could even lead us to some other possibilities but I think I will leave it where we are. It is not that polygamy itself is always wrong. It is limited to certain times and the way it is to be practiced.

What do you think? How would you respond to this question? Be sure to leave your comments below.


Comments

  1. Since the Nephites were living the law of Moses, the very next day after Jacob gave that talk, it could have become necessary for a man to marry his dead brother's wife in a plural marriage. Jacob did not say anything about not living by that particular law.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another example of when/why it could be allowed. I didn't particularly look at if it could have been allowed at that time. I figured the ? might have been more about how the church practiced it. Thanks for the response it is a good point.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Worst LDS Temples

5 Best LDS Temples

New Book Of Mormon Translations Announced